Friday, September 11, 2020

None of the riots from white supremacists

The NY Times reports:
Top officials with the Department of Homeland Security directed agency analysts to downplay threats from violent white supremacy and Russian election interference, a Homeland Security official said in a whistle-blower complaint released on Wednesday.
The DHS should downplay those supposed threats, because they are hoaxes. This follows this Politico story:
White supremacists present the gravest terror threat to the United States, according to a draft report from the Department of Homeland Security.

Two later draft versions of the same document — all of which were reviewed by POLITICO — describe the threat from white supremacists in slightly different language. But all three drafts describe the threat from white supremacists as the deadliest domestic terror threat facing the U.S., listed above the immediate danger from foreign terrorist groups.

Since the death of George Floyd, there have been 617 violent riots, and all of them were led by BLM, Antifa, and other leftist groups. None were started by White supremacists or right-wingers.

Of the foreign-influenced 2016 campaign expeditures, something like 0.01% was attributed to the Russians. It was trivial. It only gets mentioned as an excuse for Hillary Clinton losing.

I have never even heard about any crimes committed by White supremacists in the last 50 years. That is, under any reasonable definition. If you use the White Fragility definition of White supremacy, then all Whites are innately White supremacists, and all White crimes are then White supremacist crimes.

In any case, the rate of violent crimes by non-whites far exceeds that of Whites.

A recent paper says:

Most Republicans in a January 2020 survey agreed that “the traditional American way of life is disappearing so fast that we may have to use force to save it.” More than 40% agreed that “a time will come when patriotic Americans have to take the law into their own hands.” (In both cases, most of the rest said they were unsure; only one in four or five disagreed.) ...

The frailty of public commitment to democratic norms in the contemporary United States is illustrated ...

I think it is clear that democracy is not the highest principle for most people. The USA is a republic, not a democracy. If 51% of the people suddenly go mad and want race riots, then the other 49% may still want peace and prosperity.

Meanwhile, the press is blaming Pres. Trump for this, as reported by NBC News:

President Donald Trump told the journalist Bob Woodward that he does not believe that because of his privileged upbringing he has a responsibility to understand the "anger and pain" felt by Black Americans, according to a new book by Woodward. ... "Do you have any sense that that privilege has isolated and put you in a cave to a certain extent, as it put me and I think lots of white privileged people in a cave and that we have to work our way out of it to understand the anger and the pain, particularly, Black people feel in this country?" Woodward asked. "No," Trump responded. "You really drank the Kool-Aid, didn't you? Just listen to you. Wow. No, I don't feel that at all."
No, Trump did not say that he did not have a responsibility to understand anything. Woodward said that he feels that his white privilege has put him in a cave that he has to work his way out of. Trump is correct that Woodward was talking like a madman following crazy orders. Of course Trump doesn't feel as if he has to work his way out of a cave. No sane person does.
Woodward asked Trump whether he thinks there is "systemic or institutional racism in this country." "Well, I think there is everywhere," Trump said, according to an audio clip. "I think probably less here than most places. Or less here than many places." "OK. But is it here? In a way that it has an impact on peoples' lives?" Woodward asked. "I think it is. And it's unfortunate. But I think it is," Trump responded.
So Trump was nto denying that racism exists, although he is correct that there is less racism in the USA than most of the world. As usual, the press picks Trump quotes out of context to try to make him look bad, but when we see the full quote, Trump appears to be the last sane man left.

No comments: