Monday, August 31, 2020

Trump is censored for retweeting CDC data

I posted last week some updated CDC data on COVID-19, and noted that a 6% figure stuck out to me. Now Pres. Trump has been censored for saying essentially the same thing.

CNN TV reports:

Twitter on Sunday took down a tweet containing a false claim about coronavirus death statistics that was made by a supporter of the baseless QAnon conspiracy theory -- a post that President Donald Trump had retweeted earlier in the day.

The tweet -- which has been replaced with a message saying, "This Tweet is no longer available because it violated the Twitter Rules -- from "Mel Q," copied from someone else's Facebook post, claimed that the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had "quietly" updated its numbers "to admit that only 6%" of people listed as coronavirus deaths "actually died from Covid," since "the other 94% had 2-3 other serious illnesses."

That's not what the CDC said. ...

The CDC's latest regular update to a public statistics page on the pandemic -- there was nothing especially "quiet" about it -- said that for 6% of the deaths included in its statistics, "Covid-19 was the only cause mentioned" on the deceased person's death certificate.

That is not at all the same thing as saying only 6% of reported Covid-19 deaths "actually died" from Covid-19. It simply means that the other 94% were listed as having at least one additional factor contributing to their death.

No, I am not "Mel Q", and I don't know whether Mel Q reads my blog. You

Twitter, CNN, and everyone else in the mainstream media say that our claim is false. But my blog, Mel Q, and Trump's retweet explicitly and accurately explained the meaning of the 6%, and that the other 94% of reported COVID-19 deaths had additional causes. We even quoted and linked to the CDC web page, so anyone can verify the claim for himself.

I guess Twitter and the others are pretending that they are doing a public service by scaring the people into thinking COVID-19 is more dangerous than it is, so that they will be more cautious. But it is a facts that the deaths are almost entirely elderly folks with multiple other co-morbidities. The CDC explains this on their web pages, buried in their medical data. It is no secret, and it ought to be more widely disseminated, so that everyone understands who is at greatest risk.

For Twitter, CNN, and everyone else to make an issue out of this just shows their extreme bias, and their willingness to lie about the virus to manipulate public opinion.

No comments: