NEW YORK -- The medical examiner has concluded that actor Heath Ledger's death was an accident, and the result of the abuse of prescription medications.Unforeseen? Somebody had to know that his life was a mess. Who prescribed all those pills?
The medical examiner released results of the toxicology report Wednesday, saying Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of six drugs, including pain killers, sleeping pills, and anti-anxiety drugs.
The six drugs found in his system were oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine, the medical examiner's office said.
The drugs are the generic names for the OxyContin painkiller, the anti-anxiety drug Valium, Xanax, an anti-anxiety drug, and the sleep aids Restoril and Unisom. Hydrocodone is another name for the better-known Vicodin. ...
The actor, 28, was found face down and naked on his bed at 3:26 p.m. by his housekeeper.
His housekeeper had entered Ledger's room to let him know that a masseuse had arrived for an appointment, police said.
Police sources said investigators found two bottles of sleeping and anti-anxiety pills at the apartment.
While not a marquee movie star, Ledger was a respected, award-winning actor who chose his roles carefully rather than cashing in on his heartthrob looks. He was nominated for an Oscar for his performance as a gay cowboy in "Brokeback Mountain," where he met Michelle Williams, who played his wife in the 2005 film. The two had a daughter, now 2-year-old Matilda, and lived together until they split up last year.
The death was a shocking and unforeseen conclusion for one of Hollywood's bright young stars.
Wednesday, February 06, 2008
Heath Ledger dies of accidental overdose
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment