The show does acknowledge these two facts, but does not draw the obvious consequences:
- Pre-prohition alcohol comsumption was much heavier than today.
- Prohibition was led by leftists and women, and their other big accomplishment was to pass the 16th Amendment to create the federal income tax.
- Clean and safe drinking water was not available until around 1900. Neither was refrigeration. Alcoholic beverages were a necessity.
- Before steam engines and other technologies, men had to work very physically demanding jobs, and they needed the calories from alcohol.
- California is suited for wine production, but not the rest of the USA,
so Americans drank drank hard liquor and beer.